Tuesday 30 April 2013

Turku, Finland

The train from Helsinki to Turku--it was about 40 F outside, but there's still some snow sticking around

The Finnish lumber industry is alive & well

The red farmhouses & barns reminded me of pics of Sweden



With the evergreens & overcast skies, it looks so much like the Pacific Northwest!




My hotel in Turku--Holiday Inn
Slightly bigger bathroom than the other one, though still a bit cozy!

Turku was very small & walkable--it's only 180,000 some people

Another Stockmann

City Centre

The Finnish Orthodox Church (I found out the Cathedral from Helsinki was actually Finnish Orthodox, too)

Hesburger

Helsinki Cathedral on the river

I didn't end up taking pictures of the campus--we were in the conference lecture theatre from 9 am until 7pm, then we went to the dinner after that. After the dinner, I stayed out at a pub that was in a converted old school house with some of the other conference attendees until I had to take the bus to the airport at 4am. It was great to hang out with other people in the field, to see Nick Cull & Nikolas Glover again, and to hear the Nordic and Baltic perspectives on public diplomacy. It's good to be home, though--I missed Richard & Cookie and my comfort zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment